Tuesday, April 6, 2010

WWOOFing Part Deux

So yesterday I eased back into touring by biking the almost 30 km from the ferry down to Blenheim. Today I got back into things for real by biking 130 km from Blenheim down to Kaikoura. The ride was pretty flat after a hilly first 20 km, but it more than made up for that by slamming me with a headwind the whole way (headwinds are like biking uphill, but without the payoff of the downhill afterwards) and then raining for the last 40 km, while 50 degrees the whole damn way. So far, the North Island wins in the contest for my affections. Still, the magic formula holds: take some mountains, run them down into the sea, put a road along the coast, and I will love it. The formula's batting 1.000, people.

So, WWOOFing stay number two: I moseyed (if one can mosey on a loaded bike...) south from Paraparaumu to Porirua to a goat cheese farm on a road named Moonshine. I was staying with a middle-aged couple, Mike and Christine, who had two kids off at college. I say it was a farm because it is, but the farm is a hobby/source of food, not income. Christine works and Mike does consulting work occasionally, and farms the rest of the time. They have six goats which he milks and makes cheese from, seven pigs that eat the whey, trim the grass in the orchard (various fruit trees, not just/primarily apples) and occasionally get spitroasted and whole mess of sheep and a few cows up on the ridge above the farm in a big pasture. My responsibilities were largely carpentry, as Mike accurately described himself as a "bush carpenter". First I made the pigs a luxurious pigpen (I mean, it was insulated. Those pigs, they don't know how good they have it. After that, I installed some tongue and groove paneling in their son's bedroom where his bed's corner had punched through the plaster, and did a few other sundry things.

In terms of personality fits, this was much better than the yoga centre. They saw their role as sort of in between bosses and host family, which was perfect. The food was wonderful, I did some good baking with Christine, got a tour of the bush on the farm from Mike, and spent all of last Monday and half of Tuesday out on the yacht they share with two other families fishing with Mike and my brother Alex, who Mike saw fit to invite with us. We caught a whole mess of snapper and some Kahawai, as well as a small shark (we released it when Mike caught it, but it found my hook quite literally two minutes later, so Mike killed it as a danger to our bait, and fed it to the pigs) and a gurnerd. We had a hoot, and I ate a lot of fish the next couple days.

Mike is also a man enamored of eating everything. He introduced me to eating fish heads (or at least the edible parts thereof), which is delicious, and we had a nice dinner of pig hearts, liver and testes one night when Christine wasn't home. I got to help milk goats, which was easier than I feared, and also with the cheesemaking, which turns out to be one of those things that isn't as hard as you think, but which requires a good bit of precision to turn out correct. It is now my position that my mother should get a small herd of goats for cheese and wool. (Goat milk is good for arthritis, dad!)

They had a good deal of macrocarpa lumber that had been milled from a tree on the property, so I made Mike a wooden feta mold to replace his plastic one that had been made from a jug. If you know about such things, I decided to hand-cut dovetails for the joints, which is a nice idea, but I did it on a plank that I had planed to thickness using a power planer and belt sander and cut the dovetails using a coping saw and a large push saw, which are not remotely the correct tools for the job. It turned out fine structurally, but I didn't take a picture of it because I was so embarassed at how ugly the dovetails were.

In any event, I had a lovely time at the farm. I am now over being freaked out by the pupils goats have (Have you ever seen them? THEY'RE RECTANGULAR!) and think that pigs make maybe the funniest noises of any animal. Being wired the way I am, I also now want to make cheese. I don't think I'll get any dairy animals anytime soon, but I may well experiment with the rest of the process next time I have access to a kitchen of my own. It was a wonderful spell, although I'm glad to be back cycle touring again. (So long as it isn't 50 and raining all the time.)

2 comments:

  1. That fish looks SO disgruntled. Live fish are much more terrifying than anything in any goat's eye.

    I kept thinking "blessed are the cheesemakers" while I was reading this, so I'll pass that on. And will email soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a deeply successful WWOOF. I can relate to yoga experience for sure. I made cheese once and would love to cause some fromage-related mischief with you some time.
    Next up on your ovine peace-making list ought to be coming around to sheep, despite their terminal dumbness.

    You know who has the same batting average as your formula? Ryan Church? Adam Lind? Garret Young's gonna hit 324 homers? Exciting times.

    ReplyDelete